SEO can be a bit of a minefield & if you are not tech-savvy this can all be daunting. But there are some relatively easy things you can do to improve the ranking of your website & increase business visibility online.
- Learn about H1-H6 headings and how they can help the structure of your page.
- Generally, the more written content on a page the better – but make sure it is relevant to your title.
- Get a sitemap of your website & start to pencil keywords you would like each page to rank for.
- Ensure each page you wish to rank on Google has a Meta Title & Meta Description that contains your keywords.
- Ensure all images that are relevant to the page title have a correct title (CIMG3244.jpg from your camera is not great) & alt text.
- Link your website to your Google My Business page & the Google Search Console & upload your sitemap – this tells google to crawl your website.
- Get an SSL certificate for your website.
- Use a blog or news posts on your website to focus on the services & products your business offers. 1 or 2 posts a week is great to let google know your site is active & fresh content is still being produced.
- Get listed on local & relevant directories.
- Check your on-page schema/rich snippets & see what you can add to your page (Google uses these to show things like star ratings in the search results)
- Extend your domain length for more than the minimum 1 year – Google sees a longer period domain expiration as more favourable.
- Link any social media accounts your business has to your website.
You may need the assistance from your web host provider or web developer for a couple of these but they are also tasks that are achievable by somebody that is competent with a computer & has the willpower.